Paraworld Modding

Triceratops
- Mod -

Paraworld Modding

Post by Triceratops »

To save the old thread from the Sunflowers forum, here are the best parts of it:

By Sage2k and many others:

ParaWorld Modding
Just some early modding.

Green Tyrannosaur Titan Skin (1st release)

Here is the first release of the green T.Rex skin (~1.2Mb):
http://files.filefront.com//;5447451;;/

Instructions, along with back up original files, are included.
Have fun. Report problems, leave feedback.

Sidenote - The skin uses original Normal Map, so the Rex looks wrinkled on the sides (where his "gear" should be). I'll include a better suited Normal Map in a future release.

Customize Hotkeys.

You can configure hotkeys by browsing to:
where you installed PW\Data\Base\Scripts\Game\options
And opening Keys.srf file with any text editor (Notepad).

It's easy to understand how to edit it for your needs.
Just edit the name of the key(s) to the left of the Function.

Be sure not to assign two same keys to, say, two different buildings.

Disabling the light flashes during fighting.
Download this modified PW file
http://files.filefront.com//;5464053;;/

And place it to (remember to backup the file it overwrites):
where you installed PW\Data\Base\Scripts\Game\misc

Skinning.
The game stores textures in dds .format which is standart for DirectX applications. You will need an application (a little more advanced than Paint ) which is able to read, edit and write graphics files. Then get a .dds file format plugin, which is free.

Update: PW supports even higher resolution textures than the included ones! So we can update the quality of the texturing if needed. I tested up to 2048x2048 resolution with an Allosaurus skin (haven't tested normal maps, should work as well). In other words PW will not be aging (in terms of texture quality) in the coming years if textures (and normal maps?) are updated (and the Birth of a Dinosaur video showed some high resolution textures made by SEK).

Here are just a few simple texture mods:

Green Allosaurs, to merge with the enviroment better

Purple Allos!
I didn't really notice battle scars on dinos until now

BTW, PW demo contains textures for all animals (even those not presented in the demo), I haven't taken a look but I wonder if there are models of them as well.

The textures also contain the name of the climatic zone where the particular dino lives.
I can post the list of what dinos inhabitate each enviroment if needed.

Music.
The demo contains a lot (all?) of PW music.

The folder is:
where you installed PW\Data\Base\Audio\Music\

Total of 51 mp3 files (75 minutes) in 142 megabytes.

You can replace those files with your prefered music if needed.

Models - not yet.
I can extract the textures but those aren't too interesting.
I can do anything with the texturing of ingame Stina, for example

Textures.
"Selling AD space for skulls!"
Now that's a market based economy

Here's the guide (I haven't tested this myself but it has to work):

1. Download Paint.NET 2.70 by following this link:
http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

If you have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed then choose the 1st 3.57 MB one, if you have .NET 2.0 then choose 2nd 49.2 MB one.
If it's the first time you heard of Microsoft .NET Framework then just download the 2nd one.

2. Download this: (Thanks to dmashton.co.uk)
http://www.dmashton.co.uk/download/D...naries_1_6.zip

3. Install Paint.NET

4. Place the three DLLs (DdsFileType.dll, SquishInterface_Win32.dll and SquishInterface_x64.dll) from DdsFileType_binaries_1_6.zip (from step 2) within your Paint.NET ‘FileTypes’ directory.

5. Open Paint.NET
In the program window's menu bar File > Open.

Use the opened browser to locate:
where ever you installed the demo\Paraworld MP Demo\Data\Base\Texture

You'll see the folders containing different types of textures. Open one then open a texture file.
You're ready to work with it.
But be sure to copy the file, you are going to edit, and paste into the same directory. If you want to use the default texture, just delete the edited one and rename the original back uped file "Copy of texture name here" name to "texture name here".

6. After you edit the texture, "File" > "Save", click OK and you're ready to launch Paraworld demo.

If somebody tries this out, I would be nice to know if there's something important during the process that is not mentioned in the guide.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTkach
How do you paint them like that?I used the paint bucket and it didn't work right.It colored the whole picture.And the paintbrush takes long.What did you use?

I'm using Photoshop, so I don't know the name of the effect in Paint.NET, but it should be there since it's a basic effect.
In PS it's called Hue Adjusting.
--
A plain elephanteque skin. Not finished yet.

It seems like I'll be doing a total dinosaurs skin mod for PW sooner or later. ProtaWorld: Total Realism, lol

Originally Posted by cahir
I doubt the developers like this XD

I haven't developed a game but had to make creative dicisions which not everybody liked and I can relate to the developers.
Having a Modding thread in the game's official forum almost a month before the release of the game...

I do hope I'm not taken as a hostile force to the game because of the nitpicks I wrote a few days ago.

Honestly, I think a game like ParaWorld needs (and has/will have tools for modding) a modding community. It's just hard for me not to mod such a special game

I'm half finished with a new skin for Stegos

There's also a way to disable the intro videos except the SunFlowers video, but I'm not too sure I should write the "trick" here at the forums

Well, I love this pic with a new Brachio skin.

It just feels more 'realistic' to me.I don't really expect a 50 tonn 15 meter high animal to be orange in color with blue stripes on the back

But don't confuse my modding with a will to make PW seems lesser or something.
I'm only doing some tweaks to make the game even more enjoyable for certain people (like me ).

Update: Here's the Stego skin.

I haven't touched the GSF files and I know they contain 3D models & animations. My experience with modeling, rigging, animations is practically zero, so I don't think I'll be able to export/import GSF files' contents.
It would be a great if somebody finds a way with GFS files.
I'll become a modeller & animator right away if those GFSes become moddable .

The Devs have promised to include the same Map Editor they used (there's a reason to belive it with these developers) and some tools for modding. It has been mentioned though that models probably won't be accessible with those :P

Skins, Sounds, Music & Effects are moddable at this phase. We'll get a Map Editor with the full game. That leaves the models & animations as unmoddable. And those essential.

I've got an idea for a total conversion already, lol.
I'm thinking of making a Forum (+ Site?) about PW modding.
I'd call it ProtaWorld and have the mods on the site have names in this particular fasion:
ProtaSkin <name>
ProtaSound <name>
ProtaMusic <name>
ProtaModel <name>
and...
ProtaWorld <name> [for a total conversion]

We'll see how everything goes, right?

The Rex is nearly finished:

Ran intro practical problems with it's arms, toes & teeth, so he took much more time than Brachio & Stego. Rex also needs legs color adjusted to greener & polish arms, underfeet.
I'll also add Rex sounds from JP/LW for the full pack. (The sounds are copyrighted but we'll see...)

It just couldn't happen at a better time.
After polishing the skin and having the Rex pretty much completed, I got this:

It looks as if bloom doesn't work on it, or it's specifically shaded down for some reason. I switched to the original PW skin and have the same problem.
All original lower detail skins work fine.

If anybody (developers, where are you? ) has any ideas about this particular problem, I'd like to hear you share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neox
did you change something on the normalmap? because the bloom is working over the whole screen and is not limited to one object...

the problem with your version is, that it will be almost invisible in the ashvalley setting ;)

oh and you killed the alpha channel ;)

Yes, "no bloom" was a stupid thing to think of.

And yes, I overwrote NM accidentelly, Thanks!

We here don't have an Ashvalley, so until then

Yes, I had trouble with Alpha channel. You saved textures as DXT5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neox
jep

blablablablabla (sorry just that i have the ability to post :D)

Thank...
I've too much "Thanks" in your regards, so I should try something new.

Danke!

To desactivate opening and ending videos, delete all files *.bik in directory:

Paraworld MP Demo\Data\Locale\uk\Video\
AND
Paraworld MP Demo\Data\Base\Video\

Here is the first release of the green T.Rex skin (~1.2Mb):

http://webfile.ru/get/310446448/ProtaSkin.rar
(link availabe until 30.08)
Instructions, along with back up original files, are included.
Have fun. Report problems, leave any feedback.

Sidenote - The skin uses original Normal Map, so the Rex will look wrinkled on the sides. I'll include a better suited Normal Map in a future release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poels6
i don't understand what is the different between symbol-icons and picture-icons. (symbol-icons smaller than picture-icons?)

If I understand correctly, symbol icon is conceptual picture. A conceptual icon shows the building's function (think of a road sign).

Like: using a small dinosaur (Velociraptor) in an icon for a Small Dino Farm, using a medium sized dino (Stegosaurus) for a Medium Dino Farm and a big dino (T.Rex) for a Huge Dino Farm.
This way you understand what is the building's function. You see a small dino icon - it's a building that trains small dinos, you see a bow and spear - it's a barracks.

The game has pictures of the buildings as icon, so it's not as informative.
At least I think that's what was meant.

Multiplayer Server.
I saw the system of multiplayer. It's interesting.
There is the possibility to make a server "High Rate" (Hpx4, Attackx5, Ressourcex2,...)

That opens a lot of prospects.

I was goofing around with Allosaurus default skin yesterday. I think it actually turned out much more decent than I expected:

Actually, making a range of colors for a single skin was one of my first ideas, I've just started implementing:

Quote Copernicus:
I also modded for Paraworld demo, I've got 2 mods; the first reduces the costs for Levepup to 0, the second reduces the costs of the units in Army-Designer.
You can donwload them here:
http://hosted.filefront.com/Krosanic/

Updated Normal Maps ("Bumpiness"):

The first image shows the updated NM. The second - original.
Notice Rex's sides, legs & base of its tail.
And that's also Jurassic Park Velociraptor color scheme there.

Colors:

I'll batch the skins in separate Warm Colors & Cold Colors variants. I know it's taking long. (Honestly, I've done that just today , was a little distracted the whole week)

& etc:

I love close ups of the dinos. Eh, too bad [for me] there's no PW screen shot or PW wallpaper contest.

Today, I realized that I haven't even touched the Norse's skins.
Well, I can "fix" that.

Purple Trikes wearing 'ice' armor. Hey, I was just testing

White is the new fasionable Norse color to wear:

Hm, Mammonths are actually un undercovered civilized species of mammals, they're smarter than you may think. But some blow their cover:

Them wearing underware is evidence of high intelligence
(Eh, I should've done it better, I know :P)

Kapro (SEK):

Only half? D'oh! What did we do wrong?
No, seriously:
There is an awful lot of things that have to be done before you get an object to work in the game. And an awful lot of possibilites to screw it up beyond all recognition. Firstly you need all our plugins for 3ds max, which are not bad at all, but you need some serious counseling before being able to make any sense of all the buttons and stuff which are mostly cryptical, if not nondescript. There are various combinations to avoid which make your export look completely weird or crash the object viewer immediately. All your objects need the right object class set with all associated properties, flags, LODs, destruction levels, construction levels, animations and whatnot.
Then you need to script them into the resource builder scripts and the ingame scripts, you have to build the resource files (which, if done wrong, makes your game crash), place the objects in the level-editor, and... well that's about it. But believe me, these lines of text can not nearly express the labour that is needed to make things work in the game. We do it day after day, and it took us quite a while (talk about months here) to figure out all the little hiccups and glitches.

Stew2000:
I'm thinking 'Stargate' Mod to replace the warpgate.

Would it be Possible?
Would it be even more possible to have 2 Stargates in the game to transport from one side of the map to the other?
Last edited by Triceratops on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

Do you believe it? I saved this Thread in Word yesterday :roll:
Triceratops
- Mod -

Post by Triceratops »

That´s good as well. This one took me 2 hours to copy. Because of all those pictures in it.
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

So this is the modding you can do with which software?
And how can you integrate it into the game?
Triceratops
- Mod -

Post by Triceratops »

Edit the textures, *.tga files in paraworld folder, with your software of trust and save them. Thats all. A suggestion for doing this is Paint.net. It´s free. I never used it so not sure how this program works. Scrat, when you are back in Germany please tell me. We will try to finish the Trader then.
Jurassic Parker
- Honorable Old Guard -

Post by Jurassic Parker »

Or laod Gimp, load the .dds-Pluginb for Gimp and open the .dds's in the Textures-Folder^^
Parker may be an egotistical bastard, but he is easily the best mapper para-welt.com possesses, which at least makes his intolerable arrogance somewhat excusable.
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

*Is back in Germany*

But can you edit the moddels in the Base folder?

You mean Paint like this?

And what is gimp?
tomeis
- Honorable Old Guard -

Post by tomeis »

No, they thinking (I think so ) about Paint.NET 2.70 which is mentioned above in first post. Read this post to know more.
(text below is from first post)
1. Download Paint.NET 2.70 by following this link:
http://www.getpaint.net/download.html
Gimp is another graphic program, download from http://www.gimp.org/
Polish Translator of Boosterpack, SEASMOD/CEP and Mirage(Funmode)
http://paraworld1.fora.pl/
Forum dla polskich graczy
[img]paraworld1.fora.pl[/img]
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

So ypu install these programs and open the .tga files and the moddels with which one each?

And where are these PW files?
tomeis
- Honorable Old Guard -

Post by tomeis »

With using paint.net or gimp you can edit textures in *.tga or *.dds
Textures are in
paraworld\Data\base\Texture
paraworld\Data\BoosterPack1\Texture

There is no info in first post about which program changes models.
Jurassic Parker
- Honorable Old Guard -

Post by Jurassic Parker »

None because we don't have the export/import scripts...
Parker may be an egotistical bastard, but he is easily the best mapper para-welt.com possesses, which at least makes his intolerable arrogance somewhat excusable.
Trice

Post by Trice »

i tried it and it's very easy and funny as well
i just wanted to see how it works so i just panted somehow in the picture
but you can see the difference (e.g. the face)

Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

So, I downloaded Paint.NET and tried to change the moddels. I just painted somehow in Bela`s face and tried to save it. I got the message that it cannot be make, so I saved it at other name and deleted the other file of Bela`s moddel, then I renamed the changed moddel with the name of the old one.
But ingame Bela looked the same as he looked before :?

And I tried to download the first release of the Green TRex, the second one was something written in Russian :?
The moddel is a .rar file, what should I to with it now?
tomeis
- Honorable Old Guard -

Post by tomeis »

About file .rar you must unpack it , but no to folder with PW. After unpacking you should read readme.txt what do next.

In which format you saved edited Bela(and what was orginal format of file)? Textures for game need tga or dds( 32 bits for pixsel or something like select during saving). I notice that one texture have some version difference in size (064 in name and up). Maybe Bela don't change ingame because you edit only one version?

Russian texts mean file is deleted
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

So, I got WinRar now, but I didn`t know it doesn`t cost anything :?
But hey, that`s not a complaint :D ^^

I saved it as a .dds file, I opened the first of Belas textures in PW/Data/Base/Texture/Character, I painted him in the face and saved it at the same name (with some complications, as I mentioned before). Before saving I get asked which format, I`ll try it again with editing all versions, I`ll write when there will be problems. Thanks for your help ;)

EDIT: So, I tried it with the Brachiosaur, I wanted to save it with 32 Bit, but there is no option like this:

What should I do now? :(

EDIT: :D :D :D :D :D I got it Image it`s working :D :D :D green Allos, brown Brachios and red Velociraptos, here comes Scrat 8) thanx very much to all of you :wink:
tomeis
- Honorable Old Guard -

Post by tomeis »

Scrat can you tell how you do it in Paint.net? Do you save as DXT5?
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

DXT1. Does this make any diff?
tomeis
- Honorable Old Guard -

Post by tomeis »

I don't know. If ingame is good, no problem.
I ask "Do you save as DXT5?" because in first post is quote-"question saved textures as DXT5? and respond yes", so I thought you use also DXT5.
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

There are some things u can choose from, I think you might save it the first way that`s displayed in there. At mine it`s DXT1. In DXT1 it`s working ingame at mine... does it matter that I have all graphics on the highest possible niveau?
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

I just finished my first project :D green Allos.

Backup file All_allosaurus_(0256).dds and replace it at SF/PW/Data/Base/Texture/Animals with the green Allo:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-670 ... n.dds.html

Set all graphic resolutions at maximum and you´ll see the green Allo 8)

What do you think, how is it? :D as part of project painting every dinosaur except of ashvalley dinos green I love criticism so don´t be afraid ;) now he´s quite hard to be seen in the jungle ^^

PS is there a file called All_Stegosaurus_(0512) :?: I could find 0256 and 1024 but not 512.
tomeis
- Honorable Old Guard -

Post by tomeis »

Green Allo is nice :D , but he have green eyes too. I think that better change color of eyes.
Some dinos also don't have version (0512), maybe this specially ?
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

Now eyes are white with light red iris. http://www.file-upload.net/download-787 ... -.dds.html is it better now? :D
Zumokuta Clan
- Dragon Clan -
- Dragon Clan -

Re: Paraworld Modding

Post by Zumokuta Clan »

Is it possible to have white fur norsce color with brown too? Like having original fur in Northland and white fur in Ice Waste.

Btw, I like the Blue T.Rex...
Beware, the Dragon Clan has machines! But not this one. :(
Triceratops
- Mod -

Post by Triceratops »

Technically yes. But without modding tools, it's not possible. Sadly

Yes, there are some really cool textures.
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

Are Sage2k's Mods downloadable anywhere?

Return to “English”