Post by MrMorgana »

jiajia wrote:Example:
\{helpitem -name _hu_archer archer}
\{img /bunit:hu_archer -ralign}
\{tooltipshort}
%/class:chtr/vschtr:+/vsanml:+/vsvhcl:+/vsbldg:--%

but in Mirage become: %/class:chtr%
:cry:
unit class is displayed (in this case character/infantry, only the +/++/-/-- icons not, which indicated how good is the unit against certain types of enemies (to be precise vs infantry, animals, vehicles/ships and buildings). the problem with those was, that they were only a formality stuff, called from help file(s) locally, but:
  1. they were not precise, for example a unit can have different attack and defense bonuses against ships and vehicles
  2. they were very rough properties (a bonus can be anything from -100% to like +100%, or more)
  3. in many cases they were wrong (a unit had for example the same amount of attack and defense bonus against both infantry and animals, but according to the help file it was + vs characters and ++ vs animals)
  4. a unit with both melee and ranged weapon can have different bonuses for those weapons, but this system don't make a diffrence, just shows very 'general' information
  5. also in some cases, the weapon damage isn't different against unit types, but the defense value (the player can't really know, why exactly the unit is better against something)
  6. any unit can have an attack or defense bonus/malus against certain unit classes, like vs brachiosaurus, but this can't be displayed by this system either
  7. anytime a unit attack and defense bonus will be changed (for balancing sake's for example) the help file on all the different languages shall be changed accordingly, which is a pain in the ass, especially if there are only a few members (like 2 or 3) actually working on the mod
that is why i implemeted a new system, which displays for every weapon its actual bonus value (info called from techtree directly) against unit types with actual numbers: like "Against vehicles: -50%" or even against exact unit classes, and for defense values goes the same. and with this new system the help files shouldn't be changed at every time we balance something
so i removed the :chtr/vschtr:/vsanml:/vsvhcl:/vsbldg: thingies from help files, but even if they were there (e.g.: you try to add them manually) the game still won't show them, because i disabled it in the script files as well.
please, get accustomed to the new system, which is prettycool and much more informative: it shows also attack frequency, poison ticks and damage, hitrange, enddamage, projectile's error factor (jitter), penetration angle, etc.
to let new stuff be displayed, you have to hover the cursor over the small icons in info window (bottom left), for example over the little sword, then the tooltip window on the right side will show these new things
take a look at it:
tooltip_1.jpg
tooltip_2.jpg
tooltip_3.jpg
altough the generic ++ -- system may have a comeback, since many players miss it and after all it was good to know approximately what a unit is good against before producing it, but only after i made it independent from help files...
AnthonyCole
- Admin -

Re: Why Unit class can't display !?!?

Post by AnthonyCole »

For attack boni you could use
-- for anything < -50%
- for anything < 0%
+ for anything > 0%
++ for anything > 50%
maybe? Just came to my mind ^^
MrMorgana
- Admin -

Post by MrMorgana »

AnthonyCole wrote:For attack boni you could use
-- for anything < -50%
- for anything < 0%
+ for anything > 0%
++ for anything > 50%
maybe? Just came to my mind ^^
wouldn't be bad, but that means changing almost all the descriptions. Titans for example have no weapon or defense bonis, but they always had the ++ vs everything
considering that another solution would be:

+ for anything < 0% and >= -25%
- for anything < -25% and >= -50%
-- for anything < -50%
and +++ for stuff with actual > 0% boni
AnthonyCole
- Admin -

Post by AnthonyCole »

Hm, as always you're right :D Didn't think about that.

The SEK made the ++ to emphasize that a unit is strong (Titans) even without any boni. Hmm... Maybe an absolut damage value against something which gets modified by the modifiers and by this absolut value make the boni stuff? IDK. It's more complex than I thought :(

Return to “MIRAGE”