Paraworld on a stick

Scrat
- Mod -

Paraworld on a stick

Post by Scrat »

Hi folks,

let's say I wanted to put Paraworld on a USB stick so I could carry it around with me and play it on all kinds of different computers without any hassle.

Since Paraworld stores some of its data in the local user's AppData, simply copying the Program Files\Sunflowers\Paraworld folder (with Win7 fix, Mirage and everything) from my PC onto a USB stick and starting the game from that stick on a different PC (that's never had Paraworld installed before) doesn't work.

So I'd like to put the files I have on my PC at AppData into my Sunflowers folder on the stick next to the Paraworld folder that's there, so the paths roughly read like USB\Sunflowers\Paraworld and USB\Sunflowers\SpieleEntwicklungsKombinat respectively.

Now my question: how do I tell the game to read the user files not from the user's local directory but from the directory on the stick? There must be some kind of command somewhere that's something like "take the Profiles, Settings.cfg and so on from C:\Users\Scrat\AppData" and I want to change it to "take those files from USB\Sunflowers\AppData".

Can anyone help me?

Also, how do I tell the game to save games, replays, screenshots etc. not at the Documents folder but on the stick at USB\Sunflowers\SpieleEntwicklungsKombinat?

Also also, how can I tell the game not to create any traces on the computer, no folders in Temp or AppData or anywhere?
Zidell
- Dragon Clan -
- Dragon Clan -

Re: Paraworld on a stick

Post by Zidell »

The path to the settings.cfg is hardcoded in exes but you can try changing all the scripts where the settings are called (I dont think it will work without any exe changes)
Also, you cant completely disable creating files in temp folder eg shorewave data and scripts cache
All that you want to do is possible, but only through exe changes

The easiest way is to put both paraworld and AppData\Roaming\SpieleEntwicklungsKombinat folder on a usb and then copy it to the different PC. You can still use only paraworld folder, only settings and saves are stored in appdata folder. You also need a directx9 and VCRedist installers on your usb
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

Thanks! How can I modify the .exes, if at all?
AnthonyCole
- Admin -

Post by AnthonyCole »

Appdata: Settings, Profile (mission progress!), Cache, etc.
Documents: Saved games (I think), Logs

You probably can't just modify the exe, especially not without knowing exactly what you're doing. Like DryFun said, you will have to manually copy/paste the other folders.
I've encountered "portably wrapped" apps, that seem to store everything inside an archive and hold a "virtual" file system. "Sandboxie" might also help.
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

thanks, i will check it out :) sounds promising!
if the Sandboxie stuff doesn't work, i'd have to carry copies of "AppData->SpieleEntwicklungsKombinat" and "Documents->Paraworld" on the stick and copy them into the local drive whenever i play, ok... are there any other shadow files Paraworld creates except in those two folders? Cache, Registry or anything?
MrMorgana
- Admin -

Post by MrMorgana »

it saves some entries in registry but it should work without them
Scrat
- Mod -

Post by Scrat »

alright, thanks.

I might be too dumb for the Sandboxie thing, it didn't even work to run the game at all while it was sandboxed, plus, even the sandboxed Windows explorer was super slow, so PW might not actually be playable like that (especially on a stick).

Seems like copying the folders in AppData and Documents into every device is the only way.

Return to “English”