Mission 4 - 1: The Devil's Advocate

Dream War

Mission 4 - 1: The Devil's Advocate

Post by Dream War »

Played through the whole game easily, except for this mission. I honestly hate being rushed, truly hate it. Rather have both big armies collide with one another at the same time. However, since I cannot decide that, I have to put up with getting rushed by two tribes who barely fight each other.

Not that I lose here, just the towers. So many. Damn. Towers. Eventually Log Cannons don't do much.

Advice?
wafflefries777

Re: Mission 4 - 1: The Devil's Advocate

Post by wafflefries777 »

Play it on hard, then come back haha. The mission is impossible though don't waste your time like I did. In this version of Mirage you can't make any flamethrowers for the Norsemen which means you can't beat the mission in the end. I've only beat it on hard (beat both enemies) but the one key advice is to start out with a lot of workers and build walls on all 3 entries as soon as possible. They fight each other but their main aim is you.
Triceratops
- Mod -

Post by Triceratops »

Dream War wrote:Played through the whole game easily, except for this mission. I honestly hate being rushed, truly hate it. Rather have both big armies collide with one another at the same time. However, since I cannot decide that, I have to put up with getting rushed by two tribes who barely fight each other.

Not that I lose here, just the towers. So many. Damn. Towers. Eventually Log Cannons don't do much.

Advice?
Like Waffle already mentioned, the mission is a problem while playing Mirage. My tips are for the Boosterpack version (just start PW without Mirage, by using the new shortcut after installing the Boosterpack) like the mission was intended. Have you already finished it that way?

Actually I really like 4.1. This is one of the most interesting missions of the game.

We have some good tips for it on this forum, but they are in german as far as I remember.

TLDR Play Norsemen. You have to build walls at your western and eastern fronts. Very important: Do not attack the enemy. Then both will mostly fight each other for a few minutes. You do need that time.

After the intro fight, which you ignore, start building the HQ asap, and harvest stone and wood.

For this mission, as voluntary units in the army builder only take workers and a few additional resources. Let those workers immediately start harvesting and they will kickstart your economy. You need a lot of stone and wood.

Now build 2 double(!)-wall sections on the western and south western side of your base (near those rocks and the wood). The enemy waves will either ignore you and run around the base and attack each other or wont get into your base at least. Build archers from two barracks.

Also at the same time as the western walls, build 1 double-wall at the eastern side at the far end. Build these walls so the enemy ai from the east (Barbarians) can still run into the other enemy's forces at that crossroad with the swamp, item and the wild animals.

Also evolve to epoch 3 fast, then build Transport Rhinos and mount the Ep2 archers and spearmen. Add 2 or 3 Ballista Rhinos.

After those 3 walls are built, produce lots of archers, spearmen and the aformentioned Dinosaurs. Build a temple at the east after the first wave of enemy units got killed.

Now the mission is about long range attacks with the logcannon mammoths to destroy the towers of the Barbarian (Norsemen) base and their walls. Build more Temples and especially Farms and Barracks next to your frontline so your reinforcements will arrive much quicker.

This mission IS indeed challenging but also very rewarding when you make progress. I already beat it on Hard and made all goals. It takes training but it will be satisfying and awesome in the end.

Sometimes you have to restart after the first 10 minutes, either because the enemy made it through your walls or both enemies attack you instead of each other. You have to be a sneaky General for a while, and let them (see mission briefing) mostly fight against each other for about 10-30 minutes. This is sometimes tricky but if you build the walls as soon as possible the enemy forces will often just run around your base and into each other. The first real fight is in the east. After you beat that wave, build up an army of t3 and t4 units and attack the Towers.

If you need more tips, tell us. Be patient, the mission is pretty cool in the end after you start rofl-stomping through the AI bases with your titans :-)
Dream War

Post by Dream War »

I'll take your advice. I usually just build units at the start.
(just start PW without Mirage, by using the new shortcut after installing the Boosterpack)
No such mission when I launch the Boosterpack.
AnthonyCole
- Admin -

Post by AnthonyCole »

Boosterpack has a special shortcut. It is not the "normal" shortcut.

Btw, you can play this mission in CEP as Norsemen or SEAS.
Dream War

Post by Dream War »

AnthonyCole wrote:Boosterpack has a special shortcut. It is not the "normal" shortcut.

Btw, you can play this mission in CEP as Norsemen or SEAS.
Yes, I know the Boosterpack isn't the standard short - cut. I launched CEP and it was there, however, I cannot be bothered doing the mission for a long time I don't think.

Return to “English”